Is getting married in Fiji legal? The short answer is “yes”.
A Fijian wedding is legally binding and recognised, but to get married in Fiji there are several things that you do need to know.
Marriage documents requirement
Overseas visitors who are intending to get married in Fiji are required by law to obtain and sign a marriage license from the registry office prior to couple getting married. Most resorts will handle all legal documentation prior to arrival therefore the couple must forward both all CERTIFIED photocopies of the required documentation at least six weeks prior to wedding date.
- Birth certificates – original copies
- Passport and valid visas
- Single Status Declaration Certificate
- Divorce and death certificates, if applicable
- If bride is below the age of 21 years – letters of consent from both parents, if one of the parents is deceased a death certificate is required
Your dedicated Fiji Bride wedding planner will discuss these formalities with you.
Notice of intention to marry license
Applications of marriage license is available at all registry offices in Fiji including the Assistant District Registrars located at rural and remote areas. The notice to marry needs to be completed by couple whereby all information is typed in the form. The license is valid for 28 days effective from the date of issue and within this period of marriage must be officiated.
Witnessing and signing of marriage certificate
- Every marriage in Fiji needs to be performed in the presences of at least two witnesses who are 21 years or over.
- All copies of certificates of marriage must be signed by the party, witnessed and endorsed by the minister or celebrant.
- One of the original A5 certificate must be given to the wedded couple while the second certificate is forwarded with the license to the registry within 7 days to be registered. Then only your registered Marriage Certificate is obtained for you.
Fijian weddings are legal in New Zealand and around the world, all you will need to do is change your name with Births, Deaths and Marriages once you return home.
Talk to us, and we are more than happy to assist you plan further your easy legal wedding to Fiji.
For assistance planning your Fiji wedding
We are specialist Fiji wedding planners and travel agents with over 40 years experience working in this magnificent archipelago. We work with bride and grooms from New Zealand and around the world taking the stress out of every aspect of co-ordinating their dream Fiji wedding. Our experience and contacts remove the stress out of planning a destination wedding – no matter how big or small.
Contact our experienced team for assistance with all aspects of your wedding including the ceremony, reception, travel arrangements, transfers and accommodation for you and your guests.